Friday 28 October 2016

Observing Nature



With all the media noise coming at us from all angles, it is hard to stop in order to observe nature.

In her poem "Observing", Elizabeth Jennings wrote:

"That tree across the way
Has been a magnet to me all this year.
What happens to it is what interests me".





Above: photos taken by my granddaughter.

Fall is beautiful in Washington DC.

I took a few photos myself:


I reminded my journalist-daughter of the poem "Spring and Fall" by Gerard Manley Hopkins -
 and the "worlds of wanwood leafmeal" lying on the ground.


It's Halloween in a few days' time. Today is OCHI Day in Greece.


The media noise continues: 
US Presidential Elections; Brexit; Russia; Syria, Refugees; Earthquakes...

Time to observe a tree?

Unfortunately that's not possible; not for very long, at least. 
There are serious problems to be solved.


"Ah! ás the heart grows older 

It will come to such sights colder 

By and by, nor spare a sigh 

Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie...


It ís the blight man was born for, 

It is Margaret you mourn for",

No comments:

Post a Comment