Saturday 27 February 2016

Jealousy Blues



Ray Charles, I Had a Dream

Ray Charles, Tell Me How do you feel?

Ray Charles/Mary Ann Fisher, What Kind of Man Are You

B B King, Don't Answer the Door

John Lee Hooker, I'm Mad Again

Sonny Boy Williamson, Checkin' Up On My Baby

Sonny Boy Williamson, Nine Below Zero

Masters of soul-blues.

Another blues masterpiece: Muddy Waters, You're gonna miss me (when I'm dead and gone)

John Lennon comments

Iago to Othello:

"O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster..."


Jerry Lee Lewis as Iago

Chicago Blues - Othello in Chicago

Ma Rainey, Jealous Hearted Blues

Eddie Bond, You Nearly Lose Your Mind

Leon Redbone version

Commonwealth Jones (Ronnie Hawkins), Who's Been Here

William Barnes, A Bit O' Sly Coorten

Excerpts (Dorset Dialect):


FANNY.


Well, John, I’m sure I little thought to vind

That you had ever sich a jealous mind.

What then! I s’pose that I must be a dummy,

An’ mussen goo about nor wag my tongue

To any soul, if he’s a man, an’ young;

Or else you’ll work yourzelf up mad wi’ passion,

An’ talk away o’ gi’èn vo’k a drashèn,

An’ breakèn bwones, an’ beäten heads to pummy!

If you’ve a-got sich jealous ways about ye,

I’m sure I should be better off ’ithout ye....


Now goo away, you crabbed jealous chap!

You shan’t kiss me — you shan’t! I’ll gi’ ye a slap...


*****

Edward Slow,  from Jealousy, or Lizer and Jeames:













No comments:

Post a Comment