Sunday 2 June 2013

Coronation Day, 2 June 1953







For many years I have been wondering whether or not I was only dreaming that I had been in London on 2 June, 1953 (60 years ago today), watching the Coronation Day procession from a balcony in Central London.

Did I dream it? Did I perhaps watch it on TV?

My brother has reminded me of the facts: we were indeed in London, watching the procession from a balcony overlooking the route.

We had been invited to stay overnight by a friend of my father's.

That was most probably my first ever visit to London.

Child's portrait, Cattistock Church, Dorset




Coronation Year in Colour (ITV Player)

The People's Coronation (BBC)

Back at school in Somerset, we were encouraged to read The Young Elizabethan.

In our history lessons we learnt about King Alfred burning the cakes.

In the UK, we had to endure another year of food rationing.

Winifred Atwell, Coronation Rag

Meanwhile, in the USA, 1953, things were hotting up:

Bill Haley, Crazy Man, Crazy

Elvis Presley, My Happiness

Big Joe Turner, Honey Hush

Clyde McPhatter and The Drifters, Money Honey

Ray Charles, Mess Around

Meanwhile, in Kenya and then Cyprus....

No comments:

Post a Comment