Sunday 19 May 2013

Classroom Portraits, Julian Germain


This is a fascinating photographic project, available now as a book.

The picture that caught my attention was of a class of Grade 1 children during a music lesson at  Gambela Elementary School, Welissa District, Ethiopia (double page spread, today's Sunday Times magazine, May 19, 2013).

Third photograph down on this link
or Sixth photograph here
See also The Australian Magazine

It reminded me of photos that we (Bob Neilson, I think) had taken in Ethiopian Schools back in the 1970s, as part of the evaluation of the effectiveness of educational television programmes:




2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim, this is Chryssa, Bob Neilson's daughter in law. Bob passed away two years ago and we came across your wonderful blog via a google search. Stuart and I hope you are keeping well. You are certainly keeping busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chryssa,
    Thanks for the comment. I was very sorry to hear that Bob is no longer with us. I had huge respect for him and often think of those days in Addis. We're busy, with our children and grandchildren overseas. Off to Greece next week!

    ReplyDelete