Friday 5 October 2012

Ships Come and Go (Russian Naval Warship in Corfu)


The band was playing as the warship drew close to Corfu harbour. 
At first I thought it was a British ensign, but the music sounded unfamiliar.
The destroyer's flag proved to be the Russian Naval Jack.
The ship was here for the annual Russian Festival
(see Voice of Russia re the Festival in 2011)




Our last few days in the Kefalomandouko flat.
 I shall miss the view of the harbour, of the sea, of Vido island and of Pantokrator,
and all the lively activity in Mandouki and the New Port.



Time to move on, like a ship leaving port.
But it's not the end of the Corfu blues.

To adapt that famous, over-quoted line of George Seferis-
Ὅπου καὶ νὰ ταξιδέψω ἡ Ἑλλάδα μὲ πληγώνει:
 “Wherever I travel, Corfu wounds me”

Before I leave, I must drink some more water from the Kardaki Spring.
 I hope it is now safe to drink again: 
Posimo?




No comments:

Post a Comment