Tuesday 22 November 2011

Britain in Europe

This topic never goes away!

I was involved in a number of conferences on this subject with European Union Cultural Institute counterparts in Sweden and Australia.


This book, Britain in Europe, Prospects for Change (Ashgate, 1999) was edited by Professor John Milfull, and was the outcome of one such conference.

The discussions also related to Britain's changing relationship with Australia. From John Milfull's paper, referring to an earlier conference held in 1997:


It was flattering to be called (in the Preface to the Book) a "model citizen of a New Europe". I wonder how many of us could talk about anyone in such terms these days!


One's enthusiasm waxes and wanes. There was a time when I thought a job in Brussels might be both stimulating and satisfying. Now I'm not so sure. It was left to other members of my family to find the answer.

1 comment:

  1. Mark Mazower's Dark Continent taught me how fleeting is Europe's peace, how hard won.
    http://democracystreet.blogspot.com/2009/02/mazower-ends-chapter-2-of-dark.html

    ReplyDelete