Monday 13 June 2011

Lectio divina


Up in the Epirot mountains, I have been reading the Swedish poet Ingemar Leckius, and this is one of his most profound poems (in Swedish, and in English translation by John F. Deane).

But every time I read it, I start humming Blind Willie Johnson's "Nobody's Fault But Mine", as sung by Corina Hamilton:

"It's nobody's fault but mine,
Nobody's fault but mine.
If I don't read and my soul be lost,
Nobody's fault but mine".

Anyway, here is the Swedish poem that has been inspiring me the last few days, which I shall contemplate as I descend the Vikos Gorge shortly.

Lectio divina

by Ingemar Leckius


Varje dag őppnar han
den tusenåriga boken

det välbekanta berglandskapet
med den främmande vinden

som för honom från brant till brant
från insikt till insikt

ända tills tanke lämnar
det hösta redet

och han fortsätter att läsa
med slutna ögon.


From Ljus ab ljus/ Light from Light
Translated from the Swedish by John F. Deane
Dedalus, Dublin, 2000

Lectio divina

Every day he opens
the thousand-year-old book

that well-known mountain landscape
with the unfamiliar wind

that leads him from steep to steep
from insight to insight

until at last his thinking
quits the highest nest

and he continues reading
with his eyes closed



Translated by John F. Deane
(Lectio divina, Note: spiritual reading according to medieval monastic tradition)




No comments:

Post a Comment