Sunday 9 January 2011

When you hear something different: Koop may not be a scoop, but...

However eclectic one's musical tastes (I tend to identify myself as a somewhat obsessive bluesman with my head in the 1920s, but that's only part of the picture), it's always a pleasure to be introduced to something different, as I am certainly not systematic about keeping up with modern trends.

Some years ago I was glad to be introduced to an album of songs by Pink Martini, with Hey Eugene

Not my normal "cup of tea", but a fantastic voice and lyrics.

I've only just discovered a Swedish group called Koop- and the phenomenal Swedish singer from Gothenburg Yukimi Nagano. I'd never heard of them until I watched someone's Corfu holiday YouTube video which uses Koop's "Island Blues" as the soundtrack. Thanks petethemeat69, whoever you are. A great jazz vocal, even if the song is not about Corfu.

I should also refer you to Koop's official videos. Here's Island Blues again. I prefer the video for "Come to Me". There may be more. Worth exploring. Yukimi's vocals are great in both.

No comments:

Post a Comment