Monday 31 January 2011

Kardaki Spring, Corfu



I've written about the Kardaki Spring at Mon Repos/Analipsis in Corfu on a number of occasions in the past and about the Mavilis sonnet on the subject (including in my book "Corfu Blues", 2006).






I first drank from the spring in 1967, so it was my fate to keep returning to Corfu.

Good to see an item about the spring on John's Corfu World.

I wonder if there is still a sign saying the water is polluted and not safe to drink? I have a photo of the warning sign on page 89 of my book. Here are two verses from the song "Corfu Blues" I wrote many years ago (someone else has a quite different song with the same title on YouTube):


"I once drank the crystal water from that famed Kardaki Spring,
(It) made us want to stay forever, where nymphs and poets used to sing.

Now the water is polluted, "DO NOT DRINK!"- so warns the sign,
Yes the water-source is poisoned; let's forget and drink more wine".

No comments:

Post a Comment