Monday 12 July 2010

Missed Opportunities; Losing the Blues.

Amongst other worthy ambitions, I always wanted to be a bluesman. Back in early 1967, I remember reading that Mike Vernon, A Decca Records producer, was on the look-out for unrecorded blues singers and new talent.

He was producing albums with the likes of Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall. He later left Decca to found Blue Horizon Records.

He wrote to me in response to my pitch:



I never followed up. I can't remember why. Perhaps I didn't have a tape-recorder or access to a studio. I soon accepted a job in Corfu instead . It was time I got a proper job! I was hardly aware that there had been a Military Coup in Greece.

What if? I certainly wasn't a Lonnie Donegan, Alexis Korner, Cyril Davies or Mick Jagger, let alone an Eric Clapton or Jeremy Spencer!

No regrets. It's never too late! Did I hear you say "Dream On" ?

Maybe that's why I've still got the Corfu blues...

Decca was a great label in its time.








 And then there was that group...The Rolling Stones? 



Then I was a blues radio DJ in Sydney, Australia (a weekly programme, as a hobby)!




Eastside Radio Magazine, Autumn 1998



No comments:

Post a Comment