Thursday 23 July 2009

Eric Burdon and The Animals

I hope Eric Burdon's concert at the Old Fortress in Corfu Town on 28 July is a success.

It's a big financial risk bringing international names to Corfu. If this concert goes well, more such concerts will be organised in the future.

I note that on Eric's official website, Richard Wilson has commented, "Cannot wait for the concert in Corfu. I have lived here now for 23 years and we have NEVER had a decent act play here."

I can't agree with that, but, at 68, Eric can still belt out some powerful blues.

I used to love his version of Sam Cooke's "Bring it On Home to Me", and the Animals' major hit, "The House of the Rising Sun". Their first LP had some strong covers of John Lee Hooker songs like "Dimples" and "Boom, Boom", as well as versions of r 'n' b classics originally recorded by Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Fats Domino and Chuck Berry; Eric also sang convincing versions of Ray Charles' songs like "I believe to my soul" . Other slow blues I still remember: "How you've changed" and "For Miss Caulker". His version of Howlin' Wolf's "Fourty-Four" or "44 Blues" on his recent "Soul of a Man" CD shows just how good a blues singer he still is.

It's a shame he has to fly out before giving a planned master class at the Ionian University Music Department. He has been booked to replace Taj Mahal at a Blues Festival.

A pity he arrives too late on 27 July to sit in at the Kanoni gig (Ark Summer Party) in support of Animal Welfare!

Don't miss this concert. I hope you manage to find a parking place!